Parts and accessories for Audi
- AUDI 80 & AUDI 100
The name of the car manufacturer Audi comes to the name of its founder, August Horch. It is a play on words between "audi" which signify "hear" in Latin and "horch" which means "listen" in German. The history of Audi started on July 16th 1909 in Zwickau in Germany. The first model which left the factory of "Audi Automobilwerke GmbH" was the Type A Sport-Phaeton, in 1910. From 1911, the firm participated to the Austrian Alps Cup, an endurance race which it won 3 consecutive years from 1912, offering to the manufacturer an international fame. In August 1928, Audi was in a difficult financial situation and the majority of its shares were repurchased by the owner of DKW (Dampf-Kraft-Wagen). The global crisis in 1929 did not help things very much. In 1932 the society "Auto Union AG" was created, resulting from the union between Audi and the industries DKW, Horsh (also created by August Horsh in 1899) and Wanderer. It is from this collaboration that results the logo with the four rings, which is still know today. Audi was then responsible for the production of the prestige models of the group, due to its know-how, but rapidly turned towards mid-range models due to the strong competition in prestige vehicles. The pos-war period was, as well as for all the German industry, a difficult time for the group Auto Union. Its factories suffered the allied bombings or were dismantled by the Soviets, forcing many employees to move out in the region of Ingolstadt, place of the historical factories of DKW. A new society was created in 1949, the "Auto Union GmBH". In 1956, Mercedes-Benz became the main shareholder of Auto Union and resold all its shares to Volkswagen in 1964. It was only a year later that Volkswagen decided to revive the brand with the rings, with the arrival of a four-cylinder of 1.7l, with front-wheel drive. In 1985, Volkswagen gave its autonomy to Audi, which represents today the high-range subsidiary and the technological showcase of the group.